Friday, August 9, 2013

Product Review 4 U

Here is a brand new product- Kroma Crackle. Yeah, I know...ANOTHER crackle paint. But if you are a crackle fan, you may want to consider this one as it is very different in concept.

Kroma sells for $8. in a 150ml tube. It is a pretty big tube, so you get your money's worth. The big difference here, is that Kroma is not actually a paint. It is a texture. It has no color. It goes on as a clear gel and dries white. Just like the paints, a thin coat gives you a fine crackle, and a thick coat gives you big crackle. And the key point is- no color. Now, I am a loyal fan of Distress crackle paint, but you end up buying one of every color, and sometimes those colors just don't match your project. Once the Kroma dries, you simply color it whatever shade you desire. The dried Kroma sucks up color like a sponge. Initially, I worried that I would be limited in the types of products I could use to color it. But, happily, Kroma grabs everything I throw at it- sprays, Inka Good, acrylic paints, markers. Everything.

Now here is the drawback. Kroma takes a very long time to dry. A thin coat takes 24 hours. Thick coats can take 3-5 days. So, this product is not for you if you like instant gratification. But if you are patient, or if you are making something special that is worth the wait- I would give this two thumbs up.

Footnote: you really do need to be patient because damp Kroma does not grab color properly. Look at the red sample above. It is mostly dry except for the darker part at the bottom edge. That part feels dry to the touch, but it really isn't. For best coloring results, wait until the Kroma is completely white.

Another footnote: I have put Kroma on a bunch of different cardstock pieces and just threw them in a drawer when they dried. I think they will come in handy when I am in that instant gratification mood!

2 comments:

  1. I NEED this! Please save me some. I'll be there tonight... :)
    Thanks, Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one more footnote! On a piece that is mostly but not completely dry, I just discovered that a quick hit with a heat gun will finish the drying process lickedy split!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We hope to see you soon for a visit!